Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Awkward Moment

Ok, so I couldn't just mention this moment in my previous entry without telling the full story. Earlier this summer while I was in New Orleans I frequented a pretty cool coffee shop called Rue de la Course. It is located in an old bank building and has great stone floors and a high, decorated ceiling. My friends and I went there after lunch to prepare for the evening sessions we were leading for Adventures in Missions, and to get some good coffee.

We just happened to be sitting a couple of tables away from an attractive young lady studying for the medical school admissions test. As she was studying, a young man walked in, noticed this attractive young lady, and walked over to her table. We watched the awkward exchange. "Is this seat taken?" asked the young man. The young lady looked around, surprised to see 50 empty tables scattered about, and sheepishly, reluctantly, offered the seat in front of her to the young man. "Just like old times," he replied.

My friends and I looked at each other in disbelief, asking with our eyes "did that just happen?" Then we exploded with laughter, realizing that yes indeed, that just happened.

The young lady obviously heard our laughter, and embarrassed, walked outside to make a phone call. Meanwhile, the young man grinned from ear to ear as he stared into his open book. We laughed some more, then left.

The next day brought a similar scene. We were again sipping coffee and discussing the evening service, when in walked the attractive young lady. Again, more laughing from the idiots. We were in the middle of asking each other what the chances were that our grinning friend would show up again, when he walked in. This time he sat at a different table, still close by mind you, but not before he struck up a conversation and handed the lady a gift. Then, awkward silence, followed by more grinning, and laughter from the idiots.

I don't know what happened between those two, but I know it was awkward. I know because the next day I walked up to the girl and asked her myself. I told her how we had noticed the situation and appreciated the entertainment. She was happy we enjoyed it.

It made me think of all the awkward situations I've been in. Sure, I've embarrassed myself a few times, but what great stories. It takes a lot of nerve to go out on a limb like that young man. I don't think most of us risk like that quite enough. The guy may not have got the girl, but at least he tried. Just like old times...

-heath

1 Comments:

At 7:03 AM, Blogger megan stout said...

update please.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home