Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Profound and Electric Toothbrushes.

So I’ve realized that I am horrible at updating my blog. I think the reason is that I always want to write something profound. Or, at least, something well thought out. My apologies to anyone checking in every few days or so to find nothing’s changed. I’m going to try to update more frequently from now on. In the meantime, here are some thoughts from the last month and a half.

The Indianapolis Colts finally won the Superbowl with Peyton Manning at quarterback. I’m not a Colts fan (go Titans), but it was nice to see Peyton get the ‘big’ win. Even more impressive was the effort put forward in sharing the Gospel from Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith. The two coaches didn’t use the Superbowl as a forum for discussing race issues, instead they used their position of influence to spread the Truth about Jesus Christ. This was more than just a heat of the moment shout out to God at the end of a big game. This was a full page ad in USA Today and a website that you can still check out. It’s www.beyondtheultimate.org. May we all use our positions of influence to share the Gospel as well.

I had a chance to lead worship on a ski retreat in West Virginia with my friend Eric Hixon of MUD Ministries. It was a great trip. There were about 8 salvations over the weekend. You gotta love it when you get to influence other’s lives for eternity and get to snow ski at the same time. Awesome. It was quite an adventure getting there though. Eric just acquired a Garmin navigational unit. Our trip together was the first trial run for the Garmin. It didn't fair well. First it wanted us to take only back roads. After a slight adjustment in programming we made it back to the interstate. The unit also sounded upset when you didn't follow directions. "Recalculating," Garmin would say with a tinge of attitude. Even worse, their were occasions when the Garmin took us somewhere that didn't exist. I was directed to a Walmart that must have been hidden in a grove of trees. That's when there was a tinge of attitude in my voice as I said "goodbye" to the Garmin.

I bought an electric toothbrush the other day. I must admit that I used to think electric toothbrushes were only for people too lazy to brush their teeth the manual way. I also figured that they didn't really clean teeth much better than a regular toothbrush. Boy, was I wrong. I picked one up at Target the other day while shopping with some friends. It was the peer pressure that got me. Plus the toothbrush was on sale. I caved. My teeth have never felt cleaner. It really feels like I've been to the dentist every time I use it (minus the pain and gum bleeding caused by that torture-like sharp pointy hook thing).

I recently began helping out with a college ministry here in town called the Well-Florence. I get a chance to lead the leadership team in worship and prayer before each meeting. So many times leaders pour out and out, but never have someone pour back in to them. This is my chance to be that encouragement for them. It's also a great way for me to stay connected when I'm at home. If you're ever in the Florence area, please check it out.

I'll write more soon. In the meantime, hope this tides you over. I've got some exciting trips coming up over the next couple of months. I'm also looking forward to the changes God is calling me to in ministry. I'm not sure exactly what that entails, but I'm sure it will be good. Please keep praying for me as I work that out. Until next time.

1 Comments:

At 3:55 AM, Blogger michellemitch said...

Miss you Heath. Electric toothbrushes are great. Thomas likes to take our toothbrush heads and play with them in the toilet. Don't tell Whitney, though :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home